Saturday, July 9, 2011

Oh, America

Tonight Betty Ford passed away at the age of 93. I live in the hometown of Betty and Gerald Ford and despite a shooting rampage that took place here yesterday, things are normally pretty quiet. That being said, our fair city is already caught up in Betty Ford fever.

Clearly plans were in place for Mrs. Ford's passing because shortly after I learned she had died, an announcement was made that the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum would be open 24/7 beginning immediately so the community could come and pay their respects to Mrs. Ford and sign a condolence book for the family.

Since I had to pass the museum on my way home from another wine-filled Friday night with Wiggy, I decided to stop and sign the book.

A crowd had gathered and let me say, and I am not trying to be an ass, I was the only normal people there. Our local ABC affiliate was interviewing a woman and her two sons who looked like they could be inbred; there were three guys in front of me with droopy pants, backwards hats and gold chains - totally looked like K-Fed circa when Britney was relevant; a woman with black stringy hair and too short shorts asking the security guy, "Where's that Gerald guy buried?"; and a family of three that were all dressed in matching black and white outfits. The kicker? All of these people were taking photos! Pictures of the condolence book and pictures of one another signing the book. Really? Is this where we've come as a society - like if we don't photograph it then it didn't happen?

Don't get me wrong, I take a lot of photos. I love documenting fun times with my friends, my pets, random things...but, there's a time and a place for everything and I feel as though that was not the time and place.

And the worst part of it is, our local NBC affiliate had a camera set up to capture all of the people signing the book in "real time" so all of these shenanigans were being caught on film. Also quite possible...a certain girl in black and white dress scowling at these ridiculous people - oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment