Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A sad but true story of addiction

I have fallen off the wagon.

Can a true addict ever really be "cured" of an addiction? Conventional wisdom says no. The best an addict can do is keep away from the vice. What am I saying here? I am saying an alcoholic, for example, should probably steer clear of Burbon Street this time of year (or any time of year really).

But, when a vice is dangled in front of an addict-  it is hard to resist.

Especially when this happens every day at the same time.

For me, it was simply a matter of "days"....

My name is Jen, and I am a "Days of Our Lives"-aholic.

It all started in high school, when Vivian buried Carly alive and Marlena was possessed by the Devil himself. It only took a few episodes and I was hooked.

In college I literally scheduled my classes around "Days" - meaning I never had a 1 p.m. class and drove like a maniac from the sorority house to campus to make it for 2 p.m. classes. These were the days before DVR, people, and taping it with my VHS player just wasn't the same as watching it with a houseful of girls!

I spent the first two years of life after college traveling constantly for work. During that time, grounded co-workers would keep me up to speed on my favorite show.

Then I entered a more traditional work world and slowly I started to break the habit, though I would religiously read the now defunct Dustin's Days Page...ah, that Dustin, he was something. He would recap episodes of "Days" scene by scene and post them on his web site - complete with photos.

As time passed I became more and more caught up with work and real life ...at the same time, "Days" started sending away my favorite characters and focuing time on 'tweens. When it appeared the 'tweens had taken over Salem (where "Days" takes place - duh!) I sort of gave up watching - except for Christmastime - I always had to see Gran (Grandma Horton) hang the Horton family ornaments on the Christmas tree!

A year and a half ago I moved, and we all know moving means new cable. With trepidation, I turned the tv on that first day, knowing SoapNet was part of the new cable package and that "Days" was rebroadcast on SoapNet daily. I was determined to stay clean. Fortunately for me, the 'tween stories were the main focus of the show during that time. I could have given a flying flip about Chelsea, Stephanie, Max or the nerdy dude who was a fake Horton...so I didn't give "Days" the time of day. Plus, it was on at 11 p.m. and let's face it - that's about my bed time.

Recently, all of that changed.

It was a cold and snowy weeknight in January. I sat on my couch with a glass of wine to unwind after a long day and started flipping through the channels.

Passing through the 100s, a familiar face appeared on my screen. I stopped. My mouth dropped open. My eyes widened. I set the glass of wine on the coffee table and then moved forward.

There she was  - the queen of mean herself - Vivian Alamain.

I thought "What is 'Days' doing on at 6 and, wtf, Vivian's back?!?"

The episode continued...the 'tweens were gone, Vivian was up to her old tricks, Carly was back (BOO!!! I hope next time Vivian buries her alive she stays buried), Bo and Hope were on but broken up (NOOOO!!!!! LEAVE THEM ALONE PLEASE - THEY'VE SUFFERED ENOUGH!!), Stefano was back and up to his old tricks (the villian we all love to hate)...this is MY "Days!"

And then I thought, "Oh no, I am in trouble."

Like an addict in denial I convinced myself that I would watch that one night only.

That's it. Just get caught up and then end it.

That was nearly one month ago.

Today I sit here fully up to speed on the goings on in Salem. I can tell you who is together, who is broken up, who is back from the dead, who is knocked up, who is on drugs, etc. In fact, I just finished watching today's epsiode.

I thought I had kicked the habit - and that I could stay clean.

Addiction, I am learning, knows no time or circumstance. An addict is always an addict.

Damn you, SoapNet, damn you.

1 comment: