Monday, February 8, 2010

"Vaguebooking": An analysis

On Feb. 3, Urban Dictionary nailed it.

I could never find the right words to describe those intentionally vague Facebook status updates some of my friends post on a regular basis....and then, as though I was sitting in a dark room and someone flipped the light switch on....I learned of a new word: "vaguebooking."

Jackpot! Finally, a word for this annoying Facebook phenomenon!

A small handful of my Facebook friends are habitual vaguebookers. These individuals commit this offense so often that other friends and I often discuss their "crazy posts." The conversation used to be, "Hey - did you see (Identity is being hidden to protect the guilty)'s ambiguous Facebook status?" or "Oh my gosh, what's the deal with (Identity is being hidden to protect the guilty)'s Facebook status?"

Since Feb. 3 the world has changed. We can simply say, "(Identity is being hidden to protect the guilty) is vaguebooking again!" LOVE IT.

Some real life examples of vaguebooking that just drove me nuts:

Guilty Party- who is a single woman with no dating prospects - "I think he loves me!"
Friend 1  - "Who?"
Friend 2  - "Spill it!"
Friend 3 - "Did you have a hot date?"
Friend 4 - "Do you have a new boyfriend?"
....and on and on and guess what, Guilty Party NEVER answers any of their questions. In this particular case, my friends and I concluded she was talking about a dog or an imaginary friend or something since she never came clean.

-or-

Guilty Party - "just doesn't understand some......"
Friend 1 - "Seriously?? WTF??"
Friend 2 - "hope your ok" (**side note - I can't handle people who don't know your v. you're and their v. there)
Friend 3 - "what's up?"
Guilty Party - "Some things are just better left unsaid..."
OK, Guilty Party - if it's best left unsaid then DON'T SAY IT TO BEGIN WITH!

-and finally-

The desperate cry for attention that makes everyone feel too uncomfortable to acknowledge.
Guilty Party - "I am just so over this.This wasn't supposed to happen this time around..."
Personally, this is my favorite type of vaguebooking because it leaves the vaguebooker a little empty inside. I envision this person sitting on the computer, just waiting for the little red notification to pop up that someone, anyone, commented on his/her status but alas....no one dared comment.

I am not perfect - I have been guilty of vaguebooking on occasion. But, I can honestly say it was not to draw attention to myself nor was it to habitual. The true vaguebookers are those that slide down the slippery slope...it starts with one ambigous post....all your "friends" ask what's going on...you get a rush from the attention....you decide to keep them wanting more (see examples above)...then week after week...sometimes day after day or hour after hour you vaguebook. It's like a drug. And you can't stop it.

Now that there is a term for this habit/drug/annoying thing, my hope is vaguebookers will realize their addiction and seek help. Shall I suggest vaguebooking rehab to Urban Dictionary as a new word of the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment