Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I always feel like somebody's watching me (and I have no privacy)

Now I know why, when I leave my house or when I walk past windows on the right side of my house, I feel as though someone is watching me. Someone is!

My next door neighbors are this crotchety, crabby older couple. They are nice to my dog but not very nice to me.

Last fall and winter I worked from home a lot and they would always stop and ask me what I am doing at home in the middle of the day. Frankly, I think they're just jealous because they babysit four monster grandchildren whose parents work boring 9-5 office jobs.

At the end of both this year and last year I ended up with a lot of vacation time that I was forced to use or lose. Last year I was actually able to not work during that time (amazing) and was home for about two and a half weeks at the end of December. One day I was shoveling my driveway mid-day and Cranky Old Man came outside (for no apparent reason), looked at me with disdain and yelled, "Don't you work?" I was so stunned I just stared at him while he shuffled his way back into the house.

Today I came home from work shortly after 5 p.m. (normal). Since I thankfully landed office space in my town (long, painful story) I have a short commute and no need to work from home anymore. So, they can't pick on me for that.

Don't worry - they found something.

I arrived home, let the dog out and as I was filling the bird feeder in the back yard Cranky Old Man came pulling in his driveway. He always BACKS in to the driveway and it is normally a ten minute process. Dude has lived there for like 40 years so you think he would have it nailed by now but not so much.

By the way, I dread any time I am outside and Cranky Old Man or Crabby Old Woman are outside. Just dread it.

I tried to rush Gracie in but nature was calling.

Normally after he backs in the car it usually takes him a good five minutes to shuffle from his garage to his house (and it's like a six step walk) and today was no exception.
Sure enough, he stopped me.

"Why have you been leaving your garage door propped up?"

Time out: Since it got bitter cold I have been propping my garage door open about six inches with a flower pot. Why, you ask? I am feeding a couple of stray cats and I don't know if they have somewhere to go in this cold weather or not so I want them to be able to go into my garage if needed.

Knowing Cranky Old Man hates cats (when I first moved in he INSISTED I owned the cat that Gracie was eventually accused of killing. Every DAY he would say "You sure that's not your cat?" Really? 'Cause it's not like the cat just "appeared" the day I moved in - they had the thing for at least two years before I showed up!!!), I made up a lie and said it's because the door has been difficult to open in the cold weather.

What I really wanted to say? "None of your G-D business, old man!"

I mean really, get a hobby!

What does he think? Does he think drug smugglers are using my garage as a hideout...or maybe it's an underground railroad type stop for illegal immigrants? Seriously? Seriously?

They really do watch every move I make. I've suspected this since I moved in but today Cranky Old Man totally confirmed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment