Monday, February 28, 2011

Take the weather with you, just leave the magnet!

Today after a long day of work (where, by the way, we were given ice cream treats as a "big surprise" in a staff meeting just like Michael Scott gave to his staff in that health care episode in season 1 of "The Office"), I strolled out to my car at 5:15 or so (lately I've been leaving work after 6 so this was a real treat!). The sun was still shining and for once it wasn't snowing so I decided I would be home in plenty of time for a short run. I was feeling positive about all I accomplished at the office today and well, just feeling good in general when I approached my car.

What is missing from this picture?

O.k., that is not a fair question if you don't personally know me/know my car so I will tell you. See that vast stretch of vacant space there? An oval JB magnet once sat there.

JB stands for the one, the only, Jimmy Buffett. I just realized I rarely blog about my love for Jimmy Buffett, which surprises me, because my love for Jimmy is timeless. It is eternal. It's like a religion. And, by the way, Jimmy shares a birthday with none other than Jesus Himself. Coincidence? I think not.

Upon first approach I decided the car may not even be my car...and then, upon closer inspection, I saw an oval spot, less salt covered than the rest of the car, where my beloved magnet once sat.

The anger swelled.

Never get between an honest to goodness Parrothead and her love of all things Jimmy Buffett!

I park in a "secure" parking lot, complete with cameras! I need a freaking swipe card to get in to the thing. There's even a rogue sorta security guy in a giant pickup truck who sits and monitors from time to time. Despite all this, my car was violated!

What rubbed salt in the wound? I called my mom (because who else am I going to call, really?) and she laughed!

This is not a laughing matter! I bought that magnet at the original Margaritaville in Key West. It's the mothership for Parrotheads. Every time I look at that tropical looking magnet on my piece of crap car, especially on days when I'm scraping off snow or filling the tires with air, I can't help but smile.

Every morning from now on I will have to face the sad, lonely, boring back of my car as I open the garage. I will wonder what happened to my beloved car magnet (I really did love that thing - I know it's silly). R.I.P., JB. I will miss you. I hope you have a new owner who loves you as much as I do...however, I have a feeling I'll be seeing you affixed to a metal object on the backpack of one of the local vagrants.

In the immortal words of Jimmy, I will simply "breathe in, breathe out, move on."

(P.S. On a positive note, my permanent crown is in place so no more teeth popping out! I know, I know, you were all really concerned about this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment